Sunday, August 13, 2006

Friends and Family

This weekend began Friday with the late night arrival of the Teagues, a.k.a. "the Stinky Cousins". They were weary from their long trip when they arrived around 11pm - a 5 hour trip from Carrollton, GA. We visited for a moment and then off to bed. Morning came and we visited some more and then went our separate ways. The Teagues mission - they came to meet SBW, their new nephew/cousin. Would this be the last visit to the Nashville area for a new arrival?? The jury is still out on this one, but chances are that it could be. The two most recent child bearers (Laura and me) are "getting on in years", so it may be 2 and out for both of us. However, neither Laura nor I can say 100% that there won't be more grandchildren for G and Granddad - and we'll just leave it at that!!!

I attended a baby shower for my dear, sweet friend, Heather Hill. We worked together for several years, even sitting a mere 5 feet away from each other in the cubicle maze that was our office. She was closer than she probably wanted to be when I was pregnant with Richmond. The lucky recipient of all the latest and greatest news of my changing body during that first pregnancy, she probably felt like she was having a baby too! And now, she is. Cooper Christopher Hill will be joining us in October.......and so, we celebrated on Saturday. Heather was as bubbly and beautiful as ever, and I so enjoyed being a part of her first pregnancy - because she was so much a part of mine. I also got to spend some quality time with my former boss and friend, Connie. We rode to the shower together, and I always enjoy being with her, though it is never enough time. She's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of friend!

So, from baby showers to the real thing - Saturday night was the welcome home party for SBW. (That's right.....the birth certificate patrol must not work on Saturdays, so the Williams were able to escape the hospital without naming the baby. Who wants to be pressured to name their baby because of paperwork?? Yuck! ) SBW was welcomed with grilled hamburgers and hotdogs.....and lots of stinky cousins. For me, that first night at home with the new baby was the most difficult. It was the night that I grieved for my former life. The night that I was sure my life would never be the same. The night my life was over. But alas, morning came and I survived. The hormones started to settle down, and I realized that it would get better. I had this experience with both babies, because just about the time I thought I had figured out how to be the parent of one, along came #2. Therefore, I am glad that we were able to be there for Laura, hopefully to distract her mind from some of those thoughts that can overwhelm a mother with a brand new baby. And hopefully.....she was glad too!

Sunday morning was spent enjoying the Teagues and their sweet family. It's always fun to be exposed to the dynamics of their family - Laurel, Taylor, and Barrett are a hoot! We said our goodbyes as they were off to Gallatin to take one last peek at SBW and then home to Carrollton. "Back to reality" as Beth put it......Monday does have a way of doing that!

Lord, thank you for the blessing of a new child and the opportunity to gather with family and friends......

No comments: