Friday, September 22, 2006

Richy's Big Birthday Surprise

I couldn't let the week get by without a little blurb on Richy's Big Birthday Surprise! The surprise telephone call went a little something like this:

"Hi, Missy....it's Milly (my chosen name for Richy's mom). What are you doing this weekend?"

"Not sure yet.....trying to find a babysitter so that we can go watch the UT/FL game at Tate and Laura's."

"Well, how would you and Richy like to go to the game?"

"Of course, we would love to, but....."

"We have 2 tickets that you can use, and we will come to your house and keep the kids."

Ummm, did I hear that correctly? They are going to drive to our house from Chattanooga (a 3 hour trip) to keep our children and as a bonus, give us their two tickets? Because I took the phone call, for a brief minute.....I felt like it was my birthday! I was just an innocent by-stander who happens to be married to the receiver-o-gift. As a parent of small children, is there any sweeter sound than that of your parents saying...Go, take a little time and get away for a night or two. We'll take care of the kids...?

And so, we were off to Knoxville......caravaning with our favorite Gator fan, Heather and her "neutral" husband, Paul. For some reason, I seemed to soak in the atmosphere of gameday (which I love so dearly) a little deeper with each breath. I don't know why it felt that way - we have been to quite a few UT football games since we had Richmond - only one since we had Knox - but it was at Notre Dame. Whatever the reason, I was simply relishing the opportunity as though it might be my last.

We were invited to a fun tailgate party hosted by the family of one of Heather's co-workers. Sunny made sure that we all of our tailgating needs were met - she was quite the hostess! We enjoyed our time with Heather and Paul, along with seeing many other friends throughout the day. Then it was on to the game........ if you love college football, the atmosphere was absolutely electric. Our tickets originated from the hands of Duke Hagood, so we were surrounded by Gators and their chomping hands, but even that didn't dampen our Big Orange spirits!

We all know the outcome of the game was in favor of the Gators, but it was a great game! There was a time in my life that I would not be able to say that after a loss to Florida. But under the circumstances, we were determined that a loss was not going to cast a shadow over Richy's Big Birthday Surprise! A big hearty thank you to Richy's parents for making it possible :)

If only the Big Birthday Surprise would have included 2 more points for UT......even my in-laws aren't that good!

Apparently, neither are the Vols.

No comments: