Thursday, March 08, 2007

Celebrating My Sister

Happy Birthday to my little sister, Marcy! She is celebrating her 4th annual 29th birthday. Marcy holds a very dear place in my heart because, well.....she's had to put up with me her entire life - since day one. I was almost 6 when they brought her home from the hospital. Oh, I thought she was cute and all - at first. Then for the next 12 years, I really had no use for her at all. She totally cramped my style - following me around, wanting to do everything that I was doing. She was such a "little sister". The truth is I really had no style, and she probably made me look better. But what did I know?? She definitely suffered undue physical and mental anguish at the hands of her older sister.

Fast forward to her high school years, she suddenly became very cool in my eyes. I don't know why the sudden change, but I began to like her - even enjoy being around her. I admired the way she seemed to be so grounded, maybe because at that time I was out there doing my "wilderness walk". She was my safe place. I would go as far as to say that I began to love her during those years. Of course, I always loved her - she was my sister and that falls into the "given" category. But those were the years that I discovered that not only was she my sister, but my friend. Always.

Bless her heart, she has put up with a lot from me. There was that one incredibly stormy night that I called her up begging her to drive a half hour to deliver the community ski attire. She was in college at the time, so I promised her and a friend a free meal at the restaurant where I was waiting tables. I ask you, what college student doesn't love a free meal?? So she came. She ate. She brought the necessities for my weekend ski trip. She left. On the way home, the car decided to do a little water skiing of its own and hydroplaned into a concrete wall. Yikes! To make a very long story short, she has a fully paid for home.....in her mouth. That's right, the value of the dental work that she has endured (and is still enduring) as a result of "the accident" is equivalent to that of a small home in a nice neighborhood. Yes, I harbor much guilt. No, she has never made me feel that way. I do that on my own. Luckily, I did save her life at one point, so it all equals out. Right??

She still loves me, in spite of me. She always has. Without a doubt, she is the most loyal person I have ever had the privilege of knowing. If she loves you, consider yourself loved - big time. She has had the same best friends since she was in the 2nd grade - and they live in different states. Now that should tell you something! If you capture her heart, she loves you forever.....faults and all. It's funny, she's always considered me to be the strong one. Really, she is. She just doesn't know it!

So Happy 29th (again), Marcy! I hope you are celebrated in grand fashion - just like you deserve! I love you bunches.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is the sweetest story! I certainly feel blessed that I met Marcy when I did. It was during her brief stay in North Carolina and she and I worked together and ended up pregnant at the same time. My Grace was born January 12 and Hardy was born January 17. It was wonderful to have someone going through the same things I was. Unfortunately she moved back to Alabama not long after that and I miss her terribly. But as you said, she is so loyal and keeps in touch very often. You are very lucky to have her as your sister!