Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Party Hardy

It was off to Birmingham last weekend to celebrate "The Big 3" for my nephew, Hardy. And party.....we did! The festivities began at The Fun Factory - one of those places with the plethora-o-inflatables. Everytime I step foot into one of those kid's paradises, I begin to sob uncontrollably, and not because I'm afraid my children will get hurt (Richmond has catapulted himself off of the top of one before). No, I am insane with grief because I didn't think of this inflatables-in-a-big-room concept. Such an elementary idea with such big bucks involved. Oh well......after I regained my composure, it was time to party! In taking in the scene, it was hard to tell who was having more fun, the 15 kids there or Richy. Who knew? I guess its The Fun Factory for Richy's 38th! Even Knox, who has typically been less than interested, joined in the fun and gave us a few smiles. Hardy had a blast - he's such a funny little kid, very expressive. When he was first learning to communicate, he would laugh hysterically like Woody the Woodpecker....absolutely hilarious. His new thing is toddler cussing - only it's not the four letter words - instead, he says, "NUGGETS!" And he means it........whatever nuggets means. I guess my sister is just grateful its only nuggets. I accidently taught Richmond to say dang it while watching a UT football game when he was 3. For about a month, I had to lay low around town, for fear that my little dang it boy would let it fly at the most inopportune moment. It's true, we reap what we sow. No more potty mouth for this mommy!

When we returned to the Thompson hacienda, it was naptime for the kids. So what do all normal adults do when they have been to a birthday party all morning and then put their children down for naps?? They play HORSE, of course. That's right.....basketball....about 20 games of HORSE. The only adult who did not participate was my mom. Her idea of fun on a Saturday afternoon when the kids are asleep is to shop, not play basketball. What can I say......she was in the band. And yes, I realize that it is she who is the normal one. I'm not sure why all of her children turned out weird, and then chose weird spouses?? Nevertheless, a fun time was had by all, and Richy totally dominated our HORSE tournament. At one point, I thought he might let my Dad win. He didn't. I also thought he might let me win. He didn't. He won every game. Congratulations Richy.....you won every game. I'm not bitter. Really.

And then, we ate. It's what we do best when we get together as a family. We all love it, and we all do it well. We talk and eat, eat and talk. We drag it out as much as possible. I just love eating with my family. Sounds very simple, but to me - there is no place I would rather be than gathered around a table with all my "peeps".

The weekend came to an end much too soon, as always. Richy completed a few "honey-do" items for my sister on Sunday. Yes, she has a honey-do list for my husband on each visit. It's the price he pays for being a do-it-yourselfer. She is soooo glad "we" married him! Me, too. Although, one of his projects involved two big holes in their siding made by woodpeckers and a can of "Great Stuff" - not Richy's best work. But, hey.....the woodpeckers can no longer call the Thompson house their home. I think my brother-in-law, Tre, just thinks we're rednecks. He loves us anyway!

As a side note: For those of you following our progress on Richmond's training program to be Nick Saban's successor, please know that no trips to Alabama are complete without some side training. We were sure to indoctrinate him with as much high quality Alabama literature/cinematography as possible. Please see pics below for documentation.



The Birthday Boy and His Mom

My sister and me......and our hats!

Richmond and Hardy......looking guilty

Knox discovers powdered donuts



Yummy.......

Nick would be proud (and so would the Bear)


He's so dedicated! Even at age 4, he knows 30 million is a big number.....

No comments: