Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Ice Cream Man Must Not Have Kids

Is it just me, or is the Ice Cream Man a mom's worst nightmare? Not only does he drive around in a scary bread truck covered with ice cream stickers peddling all kinds of calorie-ladden treats, but he blares this extremely annoying music as he trolls the neighborhoods! The jury is still out on whether this music is a warning to parents, or a summoning to children. I suppose it depends on who you ask!
Here is my real problem with the ice cream man - he comes through my neighborhood with his crazy music at 2:30pm, which is why I am sure he must not have children or nieces/nephews. In fact, he may not even know any children!! He can't......or else he would know that this is naptime. Richmond has been waking up from a dead sleep screaming, "Ice Cream! I want Ice Cream!" It's just like Eddie Murphy said it would be, only it was funny in the 80's because I was a kid. Now I am the mom, and it is not funny. First of all.....no, we are not paying $2 for a popscicle, and secondly, the ice cream man does not determine when naptime is over. Obviously, he has never read any of the "Growing Kids God's Way" series. The mommy decides when naptime is over - not the ice cream man! But what do you do? There's no 1-800-How's My Ice Cream number on the back of his truck. There's no organized coalition against the ice cream truck man. So we wait.....for winter......when the ice cream man goes on hiatus. Who knew that as a Mom, I would wish away summertime bliss in favor of the bleakness of winter, all because of the ICE CREAM MAN!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love it. Ice cream men ARE creepy... too reminiscent of the candy man on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. (SHUDDER)