Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Transition

I recently said goodbye to my career of the last 7 years in Corporate America. I accepted a position as Chief Managing Officer of the Roberts Organization, a.k.a. stay-at-home-mom. I have 2 male direct reports - Richmond who just turned 4, and Knox who is only days away from his first birthday. Having been in my new position since January, I have had time to reflect on "the transition". The decision to leave my job was agonizing - I felt as though I was giving up a part of my identity, one of the only places in my life where it was just me, not us and we. I was giving up a part of me that had found its way to a career that I felt was my niche - a career where my strengths shined often and my weaknesses only showed up occassionally. It was an extremely demanding and stressful job but also exciting and rewarding........very much a love/hate gig! After Richmond, I found that I could still somewhat balance my job and my homelife. After Knox, it became oh so clear that I was in control.......of nothing! I was one project or spit-up soiled suit away from a complete meltdown - one that may require extensive hospitalization! I wasn't getting it done at work, and I wasn't getting it done at home. The Lord leads us where we are most needed. You get the picture....the setup for my new position as CMO - Roberts Org.

So here we are five months later. I have some of the same feelings about my new job that I had with my old one......demanding and stressful, exciting and rewarding. However, I feel like my weaknesses show up more than occassionally and my strengths are......well.....I'm not sure what they are anymore! In this position, I often feel that any mistakes could turn into devestating consequences for the future of our organization. The investment here is so much greater, the stakes so much higher. Oh, the PRESSURE!! On the opposite end of the spectrum, the rewards are tremendous and the bonuses are little memories that last forever! These days are short......life is short......and I want to stop and smell the roses, with my children. I know this opportunity is a blessing from the Great Provider. I don't want to let Him down.

Lord, I look to you for wisdom and patience each day........

2 comments:

Heather said...

Missy,

Thank you for allowing me to see just a tiny bit more of the person I have so grown to love over the years. Richmond and Knox are indeed very blessed to have you as their Chief Managing Officer :)

Pleeeease keep writing! I am so excited to have another family member in the blog world!!! You will love it - I promise :) It's such a great way to jot down "life." And looking back on all that has happened as you've been blogging is fun too.

Love you all!!

Becky said...

One of my friend's moms had a very promising career in politics that she gave up to be a CMO (as you say). When asked by her daughter if she ever regretted her decision without hesitation she responded, "Why, this is eternal." I believe wherever it is God calls you, He calls you for an eternal purpose and that is where each of us needs to go. Good luck! BTW, Heather sent me your address.